Here’s something to think about…
Let’s compare and contrast (a) the role of the ayatollahs & Guardian Council within the governing structure of Iran and (b) the role of financial interests (Goldman Sachs et al.; a/k/a the “Masters of the Universe”) within the governing structure of the US.
- Neither are elected by the people whose lives they affect/control.
- Both can exert influence, if not outright control, over the decisions and actions of the nominal government.
- Both have designed systems that make it very difficult to remove them from their positions of power.
- Both are defended by ideologically motivated forces within the population.
- Both keep the society from straying too far from strictly defined ideological boundaries.
Hmmm, perhaps we are on to something here? What do you think?